quest


I am a woman born 1949 and my quest is to find a mindmate
to grow old together as a mutually devoted couple
in a relationship based upon the
egalitarian rational commitment paradigm
bonded by intrinsic commitment
as each other's safe haven and secure basis.

The purpose of this blog is to enable the right man
to recognize us as reciprocal mindmates and
to encourage him to contact me:
marulaki@hotmail.com


The entries directly concerning,
who could be my mindmate,
are mainly at the beginning.
If this is your predominant interest,
I suggest to read this blog in the same order
as it was written, following the numbers.

I am German, therefore my English is sometimes faulty.

Maybe you have stumbled upon this blog not as a potential match.
Please wait a short moment before zapping.

Do you know anybody, who could be my mindmate?
Your neighbour, brother, uncle, cousin, colleague, friend?
If so, please tell him to look at this blog.
While you have no reason to do this for me,
a stranger, maybe you can make someone happy, for whom you care.

Do you have your own webpage or blog,
which someone like my mindmate to be found probably reads?
If so, please mention my quest and add a link to this blog.


Sunday, October 17, 2010

107. Homage to James Randi

Homage to James Randi

James Randi has the mission to educate people against delusions and irrational beliefs.   I admire him for his never tiring of his battle against woo-woo. 
He has even sacrificed one million dollars, which anybody could get by producing scientific evidence for anything, that Randi considers as woo-woo.    Even though the probability, that anybody will ever get that money is near zero, he has sacrificed the money, as it is in a bank and not his anymore.   All my kudos to James Randi.

I have no mission.   When I am confronted with someone's belief in woo-woo, I feel tedium and repulsion, I do not want to even hear it.   I have been reading atheists' and skeptics' discussions, and I was amazed every time, when someone reported his success in using logical reasoning to make someone doubt his or her delusion.   I have no clue, how they manage to get through.   Maybe they just triggered doubts, that there had been already.

Like most skeptics and atheists, I had my share of being in contact with people, who were ardent christians, because they experienced their prayers to have been answered, who believed in homeopathy, because they experienced their dog getting better while it was given to him, who believed in their own immortal soul because of an own near-death-experience.   Instead of me making any impact with reasoning upon them, they usually had condescension for my defect of disbelieving. 
I am capable to teach people, what they want to learn, when it is a paid job.   I suspect that to have any impact on a belief, one has to be a person, who radiates some kind of authority and charisma.   Since I am lacking this, I have given up any futile attempt to use reason against woo-woo. 

That is the reason, why I am so grateful for the existence of the one-million-dollar offer of Randi.   It spares me any futile arguing, because it is the one super-argument, that makes any other arguments redundant.   Whenever I am getting contacted now by any man, who refers in his profile or email to astrology, to be a Reiki master, to be selling magnetic devices for improving the efficiency of a car's engine, or to any other woo-woo in his life, then all I need to do is tell him to apply for the million dollars as evidence for his belief.
Even though this does not make any difference to them, it is a good and effortless way to end the contact with such hopeless cases without me thinking to have not given them the chance to reconsider.   Anybody, who at the age of above 60 still believes in woo-woo, is doomed to die believing in it.   I have no reason to waste my time with them.